Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Most Delicious Sweet Rolls



These sweet rolls are SUPER DELICIOUS, so I have to start by saying: Don't judge these babies by my lacking photography skills.  I am telling you right now, I am not a professional with the camera.  I've had this camera for a few years now and haven't found time to read the manual.  If I get a good picture, it's pure luck!

Now, back to the deliciousness.  These have become a conference tradition at our house, and I try to make them only twice a year, because they are way too good and I eat way too many.  Up until a few years ago I had been making a different recipe every time, searching for "the one".  I got this yummy recipe from my sister's sister-in-law, Krista.  She has some great recipes at Krista's Culinary Creations.  The first time I made these, I knew my search was over and I've been making them ever since!  I made a few adjustments to the recipe, like adding chocolate chips.  I grew up thinking everyone put chocolate chips in their sweet rolls and when I got married and tasted sweet rolls made by someone besides my other, I was shocked to find raisins! I soon came to realize that this is a fairly common practice, but one that I well never convert to.  I do take pity on my husband and make a few raisin-loaded rolls just for him.  The rest of us prefer them the yummy chocolaty way.  But, do whatever your little heart desires!

Rolls 

1 c. warm milk
2 eggs
1/3 c. margarine, melted
4 1/2 c. bread flour
1 t. salt
1/2 c. white sugar
2 1/2 t. yeast

softened butter
cinnamon
brown sugar
walnuts or raisins, optional


Cream Cheese Frosting

3 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 c. butter, softened
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1/2 t. vanilla extract
1/8 t. salt

Mix first seven ingredients.  (I always add the yeast to the water first and let it sit for a few minutes to make sure my yeast is going to cooperate).  Also, I only add four c. flour, then add more a little at a time if needed. Sometimes my dough has been too dry.  Knead dough for ten minutes.  Put in greased bowl and let rise till double.  Turn dough out on lightly floured surface.  Cover and let rest for ten minutes.  Roll dough into a 16x21" rectangle.  Slather dough with butter (don't count calories here, they're sweet rolls, after all)!  Give it a good sprinkling of sugar and cinnamon.  I leave out the brown sugar, I like the flavor of just using cinnamon sugar.  Then, add your chocolate chips, raisins, nuts, or leave them plain--whatever you're in the mood for.  Roll dough and cut into 12 pieces by putting dental floss or a strong thread under the roll and pulling it tight on top to slice the roll.  Place in lightly greased 9x13 pan and let rise until double.

Bake in preheated 400 degree oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes.  Sometimes the tops of the rolls look done, but the middles are still doughy, especially if you are baking two pans on the same rack.  If this happens, lightly cover with a piece of foil to finish baking.  

While rolls bake, combine ingredients for frosting and beat until smooth.  I always add a little extra powdered sugar so the frosting is a little more sweet.  I don't really love the taste of cream cheese, but the frosting is really yummy.  Frost while rolls are still slightly warm and enjoy this little bit of heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment